Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
This product is not currently available.
To help you find what you're looking for, see similar items below.
Rated 1/5 from 1 rating
0 reviews (Add a review)
We are only able to deliver orders to school addresses
- FREE delivery for schools*
- Delivery within 10 working days
Book Club orders
- FREE delivery to schools
- Books will be despatched after the school's order is confirmed
*We do not charge for delivery, but your order may incur additional customs costs.
“My blood ran cold. The Black Queen was looking down at me from out of the sun.”
The Black Queen is what Billy calls his weird neighbour. She always wears a black cloak and a wide black hat. She lurks in her garden, alone except for her black cat. Spooky or what? So when the Black Queen asks Billy to look after her cat, he’s nervous. Still, he can’t resist peeking into her shadowy house. Inside, there are chessboards everywhere. What game is the Black Queen playing? Is Billy brave enough to find out?
- A fabulously spooky short read from a master writer
- Michael Morpurgo is a former Children’s Laureate
- His books include War Horse and Kensuke’s Kingdom
- An intriguing tale perfect for newly confident readers
June 1st, 2000
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 4.1; Lower years; 1.0 points