The Oak Tree
Buy this and your school gets €2.87 to spend on books Orders of €20 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school. Find out more about Scholastic Rewards
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Watch a thousand years unfold in the life of one magnificent tree! A thousand years ago, a tiny acorn fell to the ground. As the years pass, it grows . . . and GROWS into an enormous oak tree! As the centuries sweep by, children play games around the tree. Families dance about it. A fleeing king even hides inside its hollow trunk! The tree gives food and shelter to a host of animals, from squirrels and badgers to birds and beetles. After a thousand years, the ancient tree finally falls in a storm – but a new acorn sprouts, and the cycle of life begins all over again.
- The tree’s magical life story is brought to life in Julia Donaldson’s rich, dramatic rhyme.
- Victoria Sandøy’s gorgeous, atmospheric illustrations perfectly capture the changing seasons, and the people and wildlife that pass by
- Children will love spotting all the creatures in the pictures, and seeing the games children play around the tree
- This is a book that encourages us all to look more closely at nature, and to appreciate the wonder of our ancient trees.
- The final pages of the book contain extra fascinating facts about oak trees and the animals that depend on them.
Praise for The Christmas Pine, also by Julia Donaldson and Victoria Sandøy: “Magical . . . as well as paying tribute to tradition, the gentle rhythmic verse and stunning pictures illuminate the two other things close to Julia’s heart: the power of children and song”Good Housekeeping Julia Donaldson is the author of many of the best-loved children’s books ever written. She has been awarded a CBE for services to literature, and is the most celebrated children’s writer in Britain today. Many of Julia Donaldson’s beloved picture books have been made into award-winning animated films which are regularly shown on the BBC at Christmas.
September 28th, 2023
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.