Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
Part of the following pack:
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
We are only able to deliver orders to school addresses
- FREE delivery for schools*
- Delivery within 10 working days
Book Club orders
- FREE delivery to schools
- Books will be despatched after the school's order is confirmed
*We do not charge for delivery, but your order may incur additional customs costs.
- All About You > BAME
- All About You > Books To Make You Think
- All About You > Changes and New Experiences
- All About You > Coping with Death, Grief, and Loss
- All About You > Diversity
- All About You > Families
- All About You > Friends and Friendship
- All About You > Homelessness
- All About You > Immigration
- All About You > Prejudice and Tolerance
- All About You > Refugees
- Fiction > Contemporary Fiction
- Multicultural > African
Alem is on holiday with his father for a few days in London. He has never been out of Ethiopia before and is very excited. They have a great few days togther until one morning when Alem wakes up in the bed and breakfast they are staying at to find the unthinkable. His father has left him.
It is only when the owner of the bed and breakfast hands him a letter that Alem is given an explanation. Alem’s father admits that because of the political problems in Ethiopia both he and Alem’s mother felt Alem would be safer in London – even though it is breaking their hearts to do this. Alem is now on his own, in the hands of the social services and the Refugee Council. He lives from letter to letter, waiting to hear from his father, and in particular about his mother, who has now gone missing…
August 28th, 2001
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 5.6; Upper years; 10.0 points