Buy this and your school gets €2.03 to spend on books Orders of €20 or more will earn 20% of your order value back in Scholastic Rewards for your school.
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
Boys Don’t Cry meets Chains in this gutsy historical epic – winner of the Carnegie Medal 2015. How not to get lynched in post Civil War America? Um… don’t be a solo black girl. So Charley is dressing up as a male soldier… Charley used to be a slave. Now she’s free. But safe? That’s another matter. Her adoptive mum was raped and killed by a racist mob. Charley doesn’t want to go the same way. Then Charley hits on the perfect disguise: a soldier’s uniform. In the army, dressed as a man, she can let her guard down. Right? Did you love Apache? Well, Tanya’s latest slams through you like a dynamite blast. Forget the competition. Tough-cookie Charley is the braveheart we wish we were most like.
- A thrilling Carnegie Medal winner inspired by a true story
- By the author of Apache and the Poppy Fields Mysteries
- Explores themes of gender and racism in a historical setting
- “Hard hitting, bleak and full of heart” – Metro
This book contains mature content.
April 3rd, 2014
Lexiles are the global standard in reading assessment. They are unique as
they are able to measure a child and a book on the same scale – ensuring
the right book gets to the right child at the right time.
For more details see What is a lexile?.
AR book level: 5.3; Upper years; 13.0 points
This product has not been reviewed yet.
Add a review
Customers also bought
- Twilight Saga: Twilight
- A Change is Gonna Come (BAME Short Stories)
- Nelson Mandela: No Easy Walk to Freedom
5booksBenjamin Zephaniah Pack x 5
- Real-Life Stories: Malorie Blackman
- The Hate U Give
- All Because You Matter
- This Book Is Anti-Racist
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
- The Undefeated
- The Story of the Windrush
- Grandad Mandela
- Little Leaders: Exceptional Men in Black History
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
Voices #5: Windrush Child
- Lord of the Flies
- Coming to England
- The Hobbit