Shopping from United States? Please visit the correct site for your location.
Yankee Girl New
Buy this and your school gets €1.60 to spend on books
This product has not been rated yet.
0 reviews (Add a review)
We are only able to deliver orders to school addresses
- FREE delivery for schools*
- Delivery within 10 working days
Book Club orders
- FREE delivery to schools
- Books will be despatched after the school's order is confirmed
*We do not charge for delivery, but your order may incur additional customs costs.
You know it already: being the new kid at school isn’t easy. But being the first black kid at an all-white school in 1960s Mississippi is a million times worse. Everyone’s got it in for Valerie, the black girl. Everyone except new arrival Alice, the ‘Yankee Girl’. She’s also an outsider, taunted by the in-crowd. She can’t stand the way Valerie is picked on. But should Alice step in – or will she watch from the sidelines? Can Alice find the courage to stand up for what’s right?
- A powerful modern classic exploring racism, friendship and courage
- Vividly describes life in America’s Deep South during the 1960s
- Based on the author’s own experiences of growing up in Mississippi
- Chosen as a VOYA Top Shelf Title for Middle School Readers
“Impressive… Rodman infuses the familiar struggle of the new girl in town with immediacy, danger and historical relevance.” Publishers Weekly
“Rodman’s novel is unputdownable and the events she describes riveting.” Books for Keeps
This book contains mature content and language more suitable for older readers.
This product has not been reviewed yet.